Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Shelby Discovered

For me, one of the great pleasures is blowing away an assumption or belief in the light of new evidence.  Especially with people.  From time to time, someone whom I initially disliked, even strongly, turns out to become a fast friend.   (This may have something to do with my early experience as an investigator for the US Congress; we were always expected and required to go beneath the surface to find the reality.)  But that doesn't mean to expect any abrupt reversals in some heavily-considered areas like religion or politics!

Anyway, I have never been much of a fan of country music -- although I spent a winter listening to a lot of Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings when I lived with the White Mountain Apaches in 1973-74 in the mountains of eastern Arizona.  Well, a friend pointed me in the direction of Shelby Lynne, who I am told is a mostly-country singer who makes forays into jazz and blues, and does Dusty Springfield covers.  Check this out:

Here's a studio version, though not over-produced at all, that improves on the lo-fi qualities of the above:

No comments:

Post a Comment