Sunday, June 1, 2008

A little like going back to the farm ... well, not really ...

Tonight, on public radio's Studio 360, one of my favorite ways to spend an hour on Sunday evenings while catching up on reading the Sunday newspaper, was a reprise of a program I first heard about a year ago about the art scene in Omaha, Nebraska. (btw, did you know that Bright Eyes is out of Omaha?)  When I was a kid, Omaha was the nearest sizable city, and it was always an adventure to make a foray there perhaps once a month.  Later on, when visiting the homestead in the 80s, Cousin Jeannie took me around to the downtown lofts, galleries and other aspects of the now-gentrified cultural oasis.

Then about an hour later, while listening to OPBMusic.org's live stream, I heard the newest from Joshua James, an indie neo-folk-type guy from nearby Lincoln, Nebraska. (Should I also mention that one of my favorite indie groups is Cloud Cult from not-so-distant -- from the Iowa farm locale -- rural Minnesota?  Give a look/listen below.)

No comments:

Post a Comment