Saturday, December 20, 2008

Mavis Staples, Bob Dylan and Barack Obama

Saturday mornings often find me listening to NPR radio while I catch up on household bookkeeping and the like. A highlight during these sessions is hearing the news quiz show, "Wait, Wait ... Don't Tell Me". This morning I had the unexpected pleasure of hearing Mavis Staples appear in the It's Not My Job guest slot. And, yes, she recounted her years-ago romance with Bob Dylan, including how Dylan asked Pop Staples for Mavis' hand in marriage. (I guess I thought that story was just a rumor back in the 60's -- apparently, Pops was good with it, but Mavis said no.)

Anyway, to help Kim remember Mavis and her role in the Staples Singers, I found this early vid of one of her terrific classic numbers, I'll Take You There:



And here is a later, much later, version (is that Dr. John on piano?):



Geez, Mavis Staples is a Chicago institution and she wasn't invited to the Obama inauguration?

No comments:

Post a Comment