Tuesday, February 3, 2009

That'll Be The Day, Fifty Years On

In a chance elevator ride many, many years ago, I made the acquaintance of Dave M., one of my hundred or so co-workers in my rookie year at our straight-laced, white-shirt-and-tie Federal Congressional workplace, and was somewhat surprised to discover that we shared an interest in the music of, among others, Buddy Holly. And I would go on to learn that Dave, as a charter member of the fan club, annually received a message from the Holly family. (I wonder if Dave, whom I haven't seen since the 80s, still gets those ...)

Fifty years ago today, Buddy Holly died in a plane crash, virtually in my backyard from my vantage point as an Iowa farm boy.

If you are a regular reader, you know that I have been a long-time fan. And I could mention that my cherished collection of Buddy Holly 45s and LPs was stolen when my freshman college dormitory room was broken into.

Check out this tribute from the Des Moines Register (Iowa's leading newspaper).

Also, here is a 1958 performance to view:



P.S. My postings have been few and far between lately due to personal health reasons, but with a little help now, I hope to pick up the pace a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment