Monday, April 20, 2009

The Monkey Chant

Rediscovered during my recent dive into my ancient vinyl collection in storage, the 1969 Nonesuch Explorer recording by David Lewiston of Balinese performers doing "Ketjak: The Ramayana Monkey Chant" is as stunning and riveting as the first time I heard it. One of the more apt descriptions I've heard is that it "... exists as a Hindu liturgical drama backed by a beatbox orchestra ready for war". As you might guess, I immediately ripped this to 320 kbps MP3 for the iPod and FLAC for the online networked household library. Here is the cover art from the album, along with a photo of the performers.




Thanks to YouTube, here is a tiny snippet of a Monkey Chant performance. Now imagine the mesmerizing effect of the original Nonesuch high-fidelity twenty-plus minutes audio-only version. Better yet, go to Amazon.com for a preview and an MP3 download (three-minute excerpt) for only 99 cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment