Monday, May 18, 2009

Death Of Music

Weekends sometime find me sitting around with my teenage kids watching Saturday Night Live. ( I only share my memories up to a point of what that conjures up in my mind.) When the SNL musical guests come up, and even my kids often shake their heads or even snicker out loud, I wonder where the good music went (not always, but too often). Things have changed when listening to great music for hours at a time, every day, with a killer stereo -- if it wasn't possible to hear live concerts -- as a young man represented just about the highest form of leisure-time activity. We demanded high quality, both performance and reproduction. Now we watch TV or stream a Netflix video or catch a few minutes of MP3 while strolling about with iPods attached. Once in a while, I stumble across something that reminds of what we seem to be missing these days. Here is the late/great Janis Joplin, live in Stockholm, circa 1969 (thanks to Tom Hannaher of ZVox for spotting this) :

No comments:

Post a Comment