Thursday, July 9, 2009

Danger Mouse + Sparklehorse + David Lynch = Dark Night Of The Soul




Okay, I know this is old news. But I finally got around to streaming the tracks from "Dark Night Of The Soul" (DNOTS). In case you don't know, this is a non-album or a CD with no music, composed by Sparklehorse and Danger Mouse, originally to accompany photos by film director David Lynch. I was intrigued from first hearing about this a few weeks ago, if for no other reason than being a David Lynch fan from the time of Twin Peaks TV series to The World's Angriest Dog cartoon strip (my absolute favorite of his work) to Eraserhead and his other films. Due to a legal quagmire with EMI, you can go to the DNOTS site and order the CD and poster (the book of photos is apparently sold out now), but it comes with the notice, above left.



So tonight I am streaming the entire album from NPR (and so can you), where the back story is also presented. And don't ask me whether I am capturing the stream so I can play it on my iPod and surprise daughter Ivi with it when she returns from Europe late this month ...



Each track features a different performer, and they are an interesting lot, as you can see from the poster image above. This music is growing on me. Take a listen.

UPDATE 11 JULY 2009: This morning I awoke to the clock radio tuned to NPR's Weekend Edition and caught the last half of an interview with David Lynch about the Danger Mouse - Sparklehorse project. You can hear here and see some of the related photos now being shown at the Michael Kohn Gallery in Los Angeles.

No comments:

Post a Comment