Monday, July 4, 2011

Music of the Day

Kim asked me thia morning for ideas on suitable music for today's forthcoming get-together with family and friends. So I turned to my FLAC library, fed from my basement Linux music server to my chairside MacBook on to an HRT DAC then to NAD amp and finally out through vintage Polk tower speakers. As my default screen interface is in alpha order by artist, I immediately saw Allen Toussaint and played his West End Blues several times during breakfast. This led to the revelation that I should just queue up my entire Louis Armstrong collection (starting with the great Essential Louis Armstrong compilation -- Columbia Legacy remaster K 89280-S1) for the day. Trouble is, I keep finding myself unable to treat it only as background; I am continually diverted from my other tasks leading up to our celebration and find myself stretched out in front of the stereo in listening mode.

Here's a taste from a live performance in the early 30s:

No comments:

Post a Comment