Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Van Cliburn, R.I.P.

Van Cliburn passed today at age 78.  He was the best-known classical pianist of my generation (I'm not counting Liberace here), coming to the forefront when he won the  International Tchaikovsky Competition in Moscow in 1958, at age 23, becoming known as the "Texan who conquered Russia".  He is perhaps best known for the Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No.1 which he performed at that competition, along with the Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 3, which I particularly liked (he was definitely an inspiration and influence during my high school years), and as shown here:




I also saw an encore piece on Van Cliburn on tonight's NewsHour, and have been reading a large number of online tributes from many other sources, easily discovered with Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment