Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Valerie June: Pushin' Against A Stone


She describes it as "organic moonshine roots music".  Whatever sort of blend of blues, gospel, country soul, bluegrass, folk and more it may be, I can't get enough at the moment.  Ranging from quaint to soothing to riveting only begins to describe the unique quality of June's sound.  Fine backing music on the album, too.    I first came upon June when she was featured on Me'Shell Ndegeocello's superb 2012 Nina Simone tribute album, and was mesmerized.

My only quibble is that, like 90% of modern fare -- excepting most jazz and classical -- the album is regrettably engineered to compress its dynamic range, coming up at an average of only DR7 on my meter.

Can't stop now:




Not yet, either:



Bring it on:



A little collaboration:


Some conversation:



Enough of this. Gotta get back to hearing the album right with the headphones and my main amp ...

No comments:

Post a Comment