Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Jerusalem Project


Jordi Savall is responsible for one of my favorite CDs, period. It is the 1991 soundtrack to the film (which is worth a watch, too), "Tous les matins du monde".

So my interest was aroused when I learned that he was doing The Jerusalem Project at the Lincoln Center this week. This thing seems to be a pretty ambitious presentation of music that came out of the religions and cultures that influenced the city's development over the past six centuries, using authentic instrumentation and voicing when possible. Much different than the Baroque music from Tous les matins du monde, it is nonetheless a compelling listen. You can stream it from NPR now, all two and a half hours' worth. Listening to this -- and I haven't finished it all yet -- is today's birthday present to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment