Friday, December 17, 2010

Captain Beefheart, Gone For Now

I remember when I brought my first Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) album, Trout Mask Replica, home to my late 60s Hollywood apartment, where a co-worker had stopped by to drop off some papers and asked how I could possibly listen to that stuff. I wondered how he couldn't. I came upon Beefheart through his association with the wonderful Frank Zappa. When I hear people like Dr. John and Tom Waits, the Captain often comes to mind. Beefheart was a sort of psychedelic blues musician and an avant-garde precursor to punk. He was a poet, sculptor and painter (one of my treasures would be his Doc At The Radar Station album that features cover art that Beefheart painted himself). Captain Beefheart died today, but let's see if we can find some Captain Beefheart for you now:



More ...



Here's a piece from the LA Weekly blog today: "Top 14 Reasons Why Captain Beefheart Was a True American Genius".

No comments:

Post a Comment