Saturday, February 19, 2011

TKOL


Everybody who knows me knows that I am a rather devoted Radiohead fan.

A few days ago, I put in an online pre-order -- sound unheard -- for Radiohead's "The King of Limbs", to be available for download at its site on February 19 or as a special vinyl/CD/artwork/digital download combination package by postal mail in May. As I was sitting around on this Friday night, unwinding from the workweek and relaxing with my new Andreas Scholl and catching up with reading, I made a mental note to remember to visit the download site on the 19th to collect the goods. Then it dawned upon me that it was already the 19th for the Brits, so I jumped online and pulled down the 368 MB Zip file (I chose the WAV option rather than MP3: eight tracks at around 50 MB each).

Taking advantage of the absence of Kim and Ivi (they are gone for several days in a whirlwind junket on the west side of the state to visit prospective colleges for Ivi this fall), I was able to crank up the stereo with impunity at the late hour, which is no problem for Nik, either, who also stayed behind and is a night owl, anyway. So for the past couple of hours, we have been infused with the new Radiohead. So far, "Codex" is my favorite cut. Radiohead's stuff is always so sonically rich that I am bound to discover more nuances upon repeated listenings. I highly recommend getting it in WAV format -- and it is well worth hearing with your best headphones, too.

I have no idea, yet, what the album title is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment