Thursday, November 10, 2016

Farewell, Leonard

Today, my wife and I sat back and heard Leonard Cohen's new album, "You Want It Darker", all the way through for the first time, although we had heard tracks here and there since it came out in late October. We were so moved by his music and poetry that we stopped and talked about it for some time this afternoon and kept referring to it throughout the evening, especially in juxtaposition to the shock of the presidential election that our household and many others are experiencing. We talked about Leonard's age and how the album could be viewed almost as a premonition of his death. I told Kim that it is probably my top album choice for 2016, and would be posting some performances on this and my other blogs. And just five hours ago his website posted the news of his death today at age 82. As soon as I gather my wits, I will start posting some of my most memorable and personally meaningful tracks, but where to begin?  In the meantime ...

No comments:

Post a Comment