Thursday, October 14, 2010

NPR 24/7 and some tangents


NPR announces their new All Songs 24/7 Music Channel. Also find there a listing of NPR member stations with continuous music streams (I think they are categorized as Rock/Pop/Folk, Classical, Jazz/Blues and Other). This kind of stuff may not be ideal for audiophiliac-type hard listening (about the best you can expect from Internet radio MP3 streams is 128kbps), but it is a good way to keep music in the background at home or in the office.

I have made quite a few discoveries of music I would not have found otherwise by listening to Internet radio, going back to the early Internet days of Shoutcast. We used to listen often to KCRW's Eclectic 24 and other kcrw.com programs (when I lived in L.A. I was addicted to KCRW, Santa Monica College's public radio station), but now Kim usually has Radio Paradise streaming via Roku while she goes about life in the kitchen and rest of the house. My bedside Logitech Squeezebox usually puts me to sleep/wakes me up to the alt/indie pop/rock stream from OPBMusic. All of these sources are recommended, but one of my very favorites that I connect with now and then is David Byrne's stream of whatever is on his current playlist: right now he has a terrific playlist of tangos featured.

No comments:

Post a Comment