Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Kidjo Coincidence

As I was preparing to return to my workplace after having lunch at home today, I was talking to daughter Ivi and noticing that the upstairs music system, in shuffle mode, was playing an old Angelique Kidjo number. As all things Africa are on our mind these days -- since we are almost on the eve of Ivi's departure to Ghana -- I idly asked whether she happened to know which country Kidjo was from. Neither of us knew.

However, after I returned to work and some of the dust had cleared, I checked my Gmail and discovered that NPR's All Songs Considered newsletter had arrived in my inbox with the news that Angelique Kidjo's new album, Eve, was now available for streaming:

  http://www.npr.org/2014/01/19/262401474/first-listen-ang-lique-kidjo-eve

And as I read the accompanying introduction, I found the answer to our question: Benin.

No comments:

Post a Comment