Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Second of Six Degrees of Separation

A couple of days ago, I brought up the matter of Nico Muhly; see the August 19 posting. Last night, Chika fired off a message, which I will quote in part here:

>It's funny that you mention Nico Muhly on your >blog- I went to camp with him! That summer I >spent at the Tanglewood Institute in the >Berkshires doing an art program - it was mostly >a music camp, so there were some budding >composers there too. Anyway, the 6 of us in the >visual art program buddied up with the 6 >composers and did a partnered project, and my >boyfriend at the time was Nico's partner. > >Nico was certainly memorable then, but I didn't >realize until recently that he's kind of a big >deal now! Working with Bjork and the like!

Then, today she added more detail:

"... you can add that my friend got some original hand written sheet music out of the deal, but he gave it to another friend of ours who still has it, and is kind of thrilled that Nico Muhly is doing so well. I was buddied with Ken Masur, who's father, Kurt Masur was a well known conductor. When he visited, he gave out a lot of autographs. It was funny to be a music ignorant visual arts person in an classical orchestra camp."

Thanks, Chika, for helping round out that blurb on N.M.

(Well, as luck would have it, Kurt Masur is one of my favorite conductors, whose work I have been hearing since the 70s, when I first discovered him on a classical radio station in Los Angeles, and have since added some recordings to my music collection..)

------------------------------
btw ... Six Degrees of Separation, in case you're wondering, refers to the proposition that if you are one degree from anybody you know, two degrees from people known by those you know, and so on -- then each of us averages being only six degrees of separation from anyone else on the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment