Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Song of the Day

J.S. Bach's Chaccone in D Minor for Solo Violin, performed by Hilary Hahn

More and more, I am randomly shuffling with my iPod as I walk to work, letting it discover pieces I had almost forgotten. This one -- Bach's Chaconne for Solo Violin -- is shaping my entire day, and here is a YouTube version:


IMHO, this is one of the most incredible pieces for solo violin ever. When I get a little more time, I must hunt down performances by Yuhudi Menuhin, Pincas Zuckerman, et.al.

And go here to learn more about the wonderful Hilary herself ... http://www.hilaryhahn.com/

(I remember when Hans -- a gifted graphics designer and fellow music lover who worked for me a few years ago -- and I thought we heard a snippet in a then-new Radiohead piece that reminded us of something we had heard in Bach, so some research ensued -- and we found Hilary.)


Here is Itzak Perlman:




And Menuhin, this said to be from around 1935:

No comments:

Post a Comment