Saturday, April 23, 2011

Kora Time

After watching news tonight, much of it dealing with African nations, followed by a travel show on Nigeria, I found myself in the mood to hear the soothing sounds of the kora virtuoso from Mali, Toumani Diabate. Here is a sample of his amazing work on the 12?-string kora, an instrument that is somewhat a blend of guitar, lute and harp.



If you like this stuff -- and how could you not? -- you can pick up any of his many albums (a couple with the late, great Ali Farka Toure, one of Mali's most famous musicians). You won't find a bad one in the bunch. My Ali & Toumani album (recorded in 2005, released 2010) remains one of my favorites in my entire collection, and it's very accessible to Western ears. Heck, let's check them out together on the final cut of that album ...



Aha! I just found this little one-minute snippet that will introduce you to Diabate's instrument:



Can't stop. Here's more, live at Studio 360:

No comments:

Post a Comment