Sunday, April 3, 2011

Wild Is The Wind

First time I heard it was by Johny Mathis, from the 1957 movie of the same name (which made quite an impression on my at the time of my youth):



Since then, many, many singers have covered the song, including the rather famous version by David Bowie in the 70s:



More recently, even Cat Power did it:



But tonight, it was while Kim and I watched a performance from a re-run of Austin City Limits that we saw/heard (the great, IMHO) Esperanze Spalding do her cover. That inspired an Internet search where I found that she has a number of YouTube vids of differently-arranged tour performances of this piece, including ...



Now, while Esperanza's rendition has become one of my favorites -- although she may not quite have a big enough voice for the song, as evidenced by comparison with what has to be my All Time Favorite, Nina Simone from 1964:



You might also want to listen to WITW covers by, say, Amel Larrieux or Randy Crawford, all good stuff. Yeah, I know, Barbra Streisand has covered WITW, too. But, heck, so has the Clan of Xymox.

No comments:

Post a Comment