Thursday, September 11, 2008

Ellens Gesang III D. 839

While crawling around looking for something entirely different tonight, I stumbled upon a CD of Anne Sofie Von Otter performing, among other Schubert pieces, Ave Maria. When I was small child, one of my first musical memories was hearing my mother's favorite recording of Ave Maria. So I went scouting around on You Tube to see if I could find something I hadn't heard before, or for a long time ...

First, I found Pavarotti:




Then Barbara Hendricks in Brussels ...



Here is Renee Fleming:



Oh, yes. Marian Anderson in 193? (must remind myself to chase down her Lincoln Memorial performance!):



Marian Anderson with Leopold Stokowski conducting in 1944:



And a 1947 violin version by Yehudi Menuhin:



Now, it's really starting to get interesting. Jascha Heifetz at sixteen years, in 1917:

No comments:

Post a Comment