Wednesday, March 12, 2008

African Desert Blues

Continuing the Africa theme from last night ...

I must credit Brother Dennis with another find. I could listen to this stuff all day long:


UPDATE: A little online research tells me that these guys are a bunch of nomadic desert musician/soldiers, freedom fighters of the Tourag people in North Africa, who apparently have been around for a long time, and are particular favorites of U2's Bono. Maybe I need some help in French translation from the students of that language in this family; that might have told me something about Tinariwen. They have many albums listed at Amazon.com, and I am getting off an order ASAP.

UPDATE #2: Quoted from a subsequent email from Dennis: "We saw Tinariwen live at Symphony Space in New York two years ago. They all came out in white robes with their heads covered and eyes only showing and just started playing. Scintillating. Apparently they were guerilla fighters who literally put down their guns and took up guitars, and their music deals with social issues, revolution, etc."

No comments:

Post a Comment