Friday, March 14, 2008

So Much Music, So Little Time ...

I can't seem to shake this drumming obsession ...

Brother Dennis again reminded me of the great percussion work of Greg Ellis. This is something that I discovered when I used to listen to a syndicated public radio "new age" program (forgot its name), and then a late night OPB Radio disk jockey who was very big on cross-cultural "world" music, and often played Vas, the duo of Greg Ellis and Azam Ali. He is a California drummer interested in percussion instruments from all over the world, and she is an Iranian, I think, vocalist. If I recall they met at UCLA and hit it off, and started making incredible music. Here is the piece called Moksha:

UPDATE: Echoes! I kept thinking "Hearts of Space", but I knew it was the other public radio new age program that I had in mind. Yes, it was Echoes (http://www.echoes.org) where I first heard Vas. To find this, I used Google Desktop on my computer here, and located a long-buried note to myself, quoting a years-old Echoes playlist entry:



No comments:

Post a Comment