Friday, March 14, 2008

On A Musical Binge

If this keeps up, I will need to start another blog just to wallow in music.  Brother Dennis sent me another round of some of his favorites and/or new discoveries today, so I sent him a few of mine back.  In one, he introduced me to a band whose lead singer is Levon Helm's (you remember The Band, I'm sure) daughter.  That led me to look up another singer-family daughter, Martha Wainwright (check out her "Traitor to Love" cover -- of the Leonard Cohen classic -- sometime) then I went from there to seeking out Lizzie West, who has the hands-down best cover of Leonard Cohen's "I'm Your Man" that I have ever heard.  While I couldn't find any online performance of the piece -- I have had it in my CD collection for quite a while, so you can hear it if you visit -- but I did find her , "Rope Me In and Smoke Me", "Time To Cry" and "Sometime".  Something about this triggered memories of (Little) Jimmy Scott, whom I first heard in the early 90s on that great old PBS late night program, Sessions at West 54th Street.  So I checked YouTube and sure enough ...

(crank it; this clip's volume is down)

Little Jimmy Scott was probably becoming famous about the time I was born.  He started as a singer with Lionel Hampton's band, and, as far as I know, is still living.  He has an unforgettable voice (in part because of a genetic condition that stunted his growth and left him with a high-pitched sound).



Another fine performance (excepting the trailing David Byrne interview):

No comments:

Post a Comment