Saturday, March 15, 2008

I Promise I'll Quit ...

... sometime.  Woke up this morning bent on a solving a malfunction of Ivi's MP3 player (which kept me up to 2am earlier).  As I search the 'Net for a solution, I am simultaneously thinking of my day-earlier exchanges with Brother Dennis, and triggered by the mention of Levon Helm (his daughter, actually) in the previous post, I found myself thinking of The Band.  And Planet Waves.  I don't know if this was the first time that Bob Dylan recorded with The Band (it was probably the Basement Tapes instead), but it was the first time that I heard Dylan backed with such impressive musicianship and fine production.  Planet Waves is a somethat lesser known Bob Dylan album -- I think he was able to record it with Asylum Records outside of, or after,  his normal Columbia contract -- but it should not be missed if you are anything approaching a fan.  Here is "Wedding Song" -- and try to listen to the incredible "Dirge" (and maybe the two versions of "Forever Young") sometime from what at times I regard as my all-time favorite Dylan album.

No comments:

Post a Comment